A FAMILY TRADITION OF SERVICE
In 1910, Robert G. Harris established R.G. Harris in the Haste Mansion (Trumbull and Hancock) with his personal residence in the upstairs apartment. He began serving the families of Detroit with the help of his father, George R. Harris, who was a manager with the Detroit Free Press. Four years later, George joined his son full time and the firm became known as the R.G. & G. R. Harris Funeral Home. It was in these early years that Robert's wife, Flora obtained her funeral director's license; making her one of the very first woman in Michigan to receive her license.
As the years passed and their business grew into one of the largest volume, single location funeral homes in Detroit, it became necessary to move in the 1930's to a new location on Cass Avenue at Canfield. In order to offer greater conveniences to the families on the East side of Detroit, the Harper Avenue location was completed in 1941 and the need for a Northwest Detroit location soon became evident and in 1951 the facility on McNichols Avenue was completed.
Upon Mr. Harris's death in 1966, Robert's son, Thomas L. and Clarence Rost, who was the founder's son-in-law, continued to provide the quality services families could depend on.
It was during these transition years that a facility in Livonia was purchased in 1964 and one in Garden City in 1969 to better serve the families of Western Wayne County.
Since the retirement of Thomas Harris and Clarence Rost, the R.G. & G.R. Harris Funeral Homes and Cremation Services has been owned and managed by Thomas F. Rost, grandson of Robert Harris. He, along with his son, Matthew, are committed to providing funeral services that meet the emotional, relational and spiritual needs of the families we serve.